China has no intention of staging a solo play in the Belt and Road Initiative, but would like to consult and work closely with parties concerned to make the Initiative beneficial to all, said a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson on Friday.
Spokesperson Geng Shuang made the remarks while responding to some Western opinions that the Belt and Road Initiative is not win-win as China seeks to dominate.
“Although the Belt and Road Initiative was put forward by China, it is to be carried out by all parties. China has no intention to stage a solo play,” he told a daily press briefing.
China always sticks to the principle of “extensive consultation, joint contribution and shared benefits” in carrying out the Belt and Road Initiative, Geng said.
The Belt and Road Initiative, comprising the Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road, was first proposed by China in 2013.
Since then, over 100 countries and international organizations have responded warmly to the Belt and Road Initiative, with more than 40 signing cooperation agreements with China, according to the spokesperson.
The Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation, scheduled for May 14-15 in Beijing, will draw representatives from 110 countries.
Geng said China is in consultations with participant countries on an outcome document for the upcoming forum.
“The document will be a product of joint consultation, wisdom and consensus, rather than China’s single opinion,” the spokesman said.
“China hopes to work closely with all participants for a full success of the forum and to inject new and stronger vitality into the Belt and Road Initiative,” he added.
Jun 23, 2017 0
Special coverage on China's Two Party Sessions by The Daily Mail - People's Daily