RAWALPINDI: Briefing the reporters on the successful completion of Operation Zarb-e-Azbs two years, Inter-Services Public Relations Director General Lt Gen Asim Bajwa stated that three thousand and five hundred terrorists have been killed whereas 490 security personnel have lost their lives in the operation so far.
The job is not yet finished and that there is work still left to do, he said.
The army launched the operation in mid-2014, in a bid to wipe out militant bases in the North Waziristan tribal area and bring an end to the near decade-long insurgency that has cost Pakistan thousands of lives.
Bajwa said an area of 3600sq km in North Waziristan has been cleared of militants while a total of 992 hideouts have been destroyed.
He said the governments writ has been established in FATA and Swat and operation would continue in some pockets to eliminate terrorists.
The operation would continue till eradication of the menace of terrorism, he added.
He said it is because of restoration of law and order that 61% of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) have returned to their homes in FATA.
He further stressed that the border management is still a challenge and management mechanisms are an upcoming focus.
DG ISPR once again stated that the gate at Torkham border is being constructed to check movement of the terrorists.
Terrorists involved in Charsadda attack entered Pakistan through Torkham border, he recalled.
He said the situation would have been different today if Afghanistan had neutralised those militants who escaped operation Zarb-e-Azb.
The army spokesperson reiterated that no one will be allowed to enter Pakistan without valid travel documents.
Apr 21, 2018 0
The 2018 Boao Forum for Asia (BFA) annual conference is scheduled for April 8 to 11 in Boao, Hainan Province. The forum will be themed "An Open and Innovative Asia for a World of Greater Prosperity."
— The Daily Mail - People's Daily