PESHAWAR: Director General Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) Major-General Asim Bajwa on Friday said that the attack on Pakistan Air Force (PAF) Badaber camp earlier in the day was planned and controlled from Afghanistan.
The DG ISPR held a press conference following the attack on PAF Badaber camp earlier in the day and provided details of the attack and follow-up actions by security forces.
According to the details given by ISPR in its press conference, the attack on the PAF installation started at around 5am, when the terrorists arrived on Inqalab road, and dismounted from their vehicle near the gates of the base.
“After dismounting, the terrorists used rocket-propelled grenades (RPG) and automatic rifle fire to breach the gates and gain entry into the PAF base,” said Bajwa.
He elaborated by adding that as soon as the terrorists entered the facility, they met stiff resistance from the PAF guards who were stationed to guard the base.
“The terrorists then split in to two groups, with eight militants heading towards the administrative area of the base while the other group headed towards the technical area,” added the ISPR head.
Major-General Bajwa said that the terrorists were under continuous fire from security forces, and the Quick Reaction Force (QRF) reached within ten minutes and managed to contain the attackers in a relatively small area of the base.
The QRF was joined by Special Service Group (SSG) special forces, Light Commandos and regular army personnel. The outer cordon of the operational area was maintained by police forces.
“Once the terrorists entered the facility, they were contained within 50 metres of either side of the gate, and were not able to advance towards their objectives.”
The head of the ISPR confirmed that the ensuing firefight took place within the small area which also housed the base’s mosque, which “unfortunately became a target for the attackers, and they rushed in and opened fire on the people present for morning prayers.”
The DG ISPR explained to the media personnel present that the ensuing attack on those present in the mosque and a barracks building next to the mosque caused the most casualties during the attack, as the attackers lobbed grenades and opened fire on the worshipers present.
“At least 29 people have been martyred — 23 from air force, three from army and three civilians,” AFP quoted Bajwa as saying. The ISPR spokesperson said that 29 people were also wounded during the attack
Maj Gen Bajwa also appreciated the media for its objective reporting and informing the people regarding the developments announced by the ISPR in a timely manner.
Sep 28, 2016 0
Special coverage on China's Two Party Sessions by The Daily Mail - People's Daily