ISLAMABAD–A local court in Islamabad on Tuesday acquitted Mumbai attacks mastermind Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi in a case pertaining to the abduction of an Afghan national.
The Islamabad police had booked Lakhvi for the alleged kidnapping of the Afghan national after the Islamabad High Court (IHC) had suspended his (Lakhvi’s) detention in the 2008 Mumbai attacks case on December 26, 2014.
As per the FIR that the Islamabad police registered on December 29, 2014, Mohammad Daud complained that his brother-in-law Anwar Khan, an Afghan national, was kidnapped by Lakhvi over six years ago.
During today’s hearing, police lawyer Amir Nadeem Tabish presented his arguments, saying that Lakhvi had been directly nominated in the abduction case. He claimed that the plaintiff and the abducted person’s brother were eyewitnesses in the kidnapping incident.
Nadeem requested the court to summon Lakhvi and indict him in the kidnapping.
However, in its ruling, the court said that the case was filed after a hiatus of six years. It said that the plaintiff in the case did not appear before the court even once and no one was aware of the whereabouts of the kidnapped person.
The court subsequently acquitted Lakhvi in the kidnapping case.
Earlier in February, the judicial magistrate had dismissed a petition seeking the acquittal of Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi in a kidnapping case.
Lakhvi, who is also facing trial for being the alleged mastermind in the 2008 Mumbai attacks, was released from Adiala jail on April 10 following the Lahore High Court’s dismissal of detention orders issued against him by the Okara DCO on March 14.
Nov 15, 2017 0
The 68th Anniversary of the Founding of the People’s Republic of China.
— The Daily Mail - People's Daily