ISLAMABAD – A Pakistani convoy was allowed to leave Sanaa, hours after it was stopped at check-post attempting to flee the conflict in Yemen, media reported on Saturday.
The convoy, consisting of 15 buses, had left Sanaa for Hudaidah.
According to unofficial estimates, 560 Pakistanis are stranded in the besieged Yemeni capital of Sanaa. Pakistan’s foreign ministry officials say around 2,145 Pakistanis are currently living in Yemen.
Earlier, a Pakistan International Airlines spokesperson said an aircraft will depart to Yemen on Sunday to evacuate stranded Pakistanis in the war-torn country.
“The first flight of PIA will depart to Yemen tomorrow to bring back Pakistanis,” a PIA spokesperson said, according to Radio Pakistan.
A convoy of 12 buses would transport 500 people to the western port city of Hudaidah. Earlier in the day, on the directions of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif a comprehensive plan was devised for the evacuation of Pakistanis stranded in Yemen.
Pakistan International Airlines has arranged two airplanes which are ready for departure as soon as they receive clearance from aviation authorities and the Embassy of Pakistan in Sanaa.
As state system is collapsing in the war-torn country, most airports are no more functional, because of which some families would also be safely taken, in the form of convoys, to Yemen’s neighbouring countries and airlifted to Pakistan from there.
The premier further directed all concerned departments to take all possible measures for ensuring safety of each and every member of the Pakistani community living in Yemen. The Prime Minister is himself monitoring the situation and has asked to be kept updated on an hourly basis. Earlier, the Foreign Office said every effort is being made for the safe evacuation of Pakistanis from Yemen, as the second day of Saudi-led airstrikes in the area continues. Talking to The Express Tribune, Foreign Office Spokesperson Tasneen Aslam said Pakistan accelerated its efforts to get together all the stranded Pakistanis at one place for their safe evacuation.
Nov 15, 2017 0
Feb 20, 2018 0
The 68th Anniversary of the Founding of the People’s Republic of China.
— The Daily Mail - People's Daily