ISLAMABAD: The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Monday ordered the conditional release of Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi — the alleged mastermind of Mumbai attacks — on the condition that the accused submits a security bond worth Rs1 million.
The court has issued a two-page judgement on Lakhvi’s release.
Earlier today, Justice Noorul Haq Qureshi had presided over the hearing of a petition filed by Lakhvi, seeking an end to his detention.
Lakhvi was granted post-arrest bail by an anti-terrorism court (ATC) in Islamabad on Dec 18. However, the federal government had extended his detention in the Adiala Jail under the Maintenance of Public Order ordinance.
On Dec 26, Lakhvi had challenged his detention in the IHC.
During today’s hearing, Lakhvi’s counsel Rizwan Abbasi had said that the court had previously accepted his client’s bail, but it was the administration that had detained him which was unlawful. He said that granting of bail was an issue of fundamental rights.
After hearing the counsel’s arguments, the court had suspended Lakhvi’s detention.
Lakhvi is among the seven persons charged with planning and helping carry out the 2008 Mumbai attacks. The six other men facing trial in Adiala Jail for their alleged involvement in Mumbai attacks are Hammad Amin Sadiq, Shahid Jamil Riaz, Younas Anjum, Jamil Ahmed, Mazhar Iqbal and Abdul Majid.
At the time of the attacks, Lakhvi was believed to be the operational head of the banned Laskhar-i-Taiba (LT) that has been accused by India of carrying out the attacks in India’s financial capital.
Lakhvi along with Zarar Shah was allegedly the key planner of the attack that killed 166 people.
Dec 16, 2017 0
The 68th Anniversary of the Founding of the People’s Republic of China.
— The Daily Mail - People's Daily